A simple mash up of berries, cream and crumbled meringue
PATE SUCREE (SWEET PASTRY)
250g plain sifted flour
Pinch of salt
75g superfine caster sugar
1 large egg
100g softened butter, cut in cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons orange flower water
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp milk
Traditional chunky strawberry jam (or any other chunky jam you prefer)
50 g superfine caster sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix with a fork until dry ingredients are combined. Make well in dry mix, then add egg, orange water and cubes of soft butter.
2. Draw flour into the centre. Knead the dough quickly and gently with the heel of your hand. Knead into a ball, cover and let rest until ready to roll out.
3. Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll until thin and delicate, but just workable.
4. Cut dough into petite heart shapes (or whatever shape you wish).
5. Brush half your shapes with a little egg wash and place a small dollop of filling in the centre of each shape. Then place a non egg washed shape on top of of the filling, allowing it to curve to accommodate the filling.
7. Using a fork, press down and crimp the sides of the dough to seal in your filling. Brush with a little covering of egg wash and dust with cinnamon sugar. Insert skewer into crimped heart shape to make a lollipop-like treat.
8. Place 'lollipops' on a lightly floured tray or non-stick baking sheet and bake on the top shelf in a pre-warmed 175C oven for approximately 6 minutes, or until egg wash shows colour and sugar caramelises slightly.
Recipe by Shawn Sheather.