A sweet addition to your breakfast menu
250 g quinoa
750 ml cups water
200 g pepita seeds, dry roasted
3 shallots, finely sliced
1 red chilli, seeded and diced
200 g fresh basil, sliced thinly
170 gms tofu
50 g fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup corn kernels
10 medium sun-dried tomatoes, finely sliced
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 – 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
1. Put quinoa grains in a heavy based non stick pot and stir constantly, dry roasting over medium heat for about 5 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add water and bring to a boil before simmering over low heat for about 15 – 20 minutes – the water should have been absorbed by then but if the quinoa is ready before the water has been absorbed, drain in a colander and set aside to cool.
3. Dry roast the seeds in the same way as quinoa, over medium heat until they are fragrant, removing the minute it starts spitting.
4. Add all the rest of the ingredients and combine with the quinoa and seeds.
5. Season to taste and toss with the oil, the lemon juice and the vinegar.