With the Southern states already experiencing the first chill of the cooler months and winter just around the corner, thoughts are already turning towards tropical getaways, sun-drenched beaches, and trading grey skies for blue.
The June-July school holidays are an ideal time for a winter family escape and Aussie front-runner Hamilton Island, in the heart of The Whitsundays, offers the perfect combination of adventure, relaxation, sunshine, and value for money without having to stray too far from home.
Need a dining option? Seek out qualia.
Fun for the Whole Family
Between the crystal waters, white sandy beaches, laid back lifestyle, and unique location alongside the Great Barrier Reef, Hamilton Island has managed to strike the perfect balance between holidays for kids and holidays for adults. With a variety of activities, and an abundance of natural wonders to explore, Hamilton Island has an experience to suit every member of the family.
It's a place where you'll never hear the kids say, "I'm bored," or, "It's too cold and wet to play." Instead, you'll be planning your days to incorporate the region's many highlights and tours, including:
- Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, home to hundreds of species of coral and marine life.
- Visiting the pristine white sands of Whitehaven Beach by high speed catamaran.
- Bushwalking the Island's many trails. Wander through natural, untouched bushland or challenge the family to climb Passage Peak for show-stopping views of the Whitsundays.
- Family fun for everyone with go-kart racing, bowling, mini golf, jet skiing, or dinghy or fishing boat hire. Catseye Beach offers volleyball, kayaking, or simply relax while the kids build sandcastles.
- A family picnic at one of the Islands secluded coves or at One Tree Hill Lookout for an unforgettable sunset.
Hamilton Island boasts its own airport, meaning you can board a plane from Sydney or Melbourne, touch down in a tropical paradise in less than three hours, and be only minutes from your accommodation. As any parent will tell you, one of the deciding factors on where to holiday is the time it takes to get there. Second to location, safety is another deciding factor in today's global climate, and the Whitsundays has a long standing record of peaceful holiday making underpinned by a laidback atmosphere.
While there are no cars on Hamilton Island (in keeping with its relaxed lifestyle), transport is never a problem. Free shuttle buses operate on a regular timetable, stopping at various points of interest and convenience including The Marina, Tavern and Restaurant Precinct, Golf Course, and residential areas. Alternatively, do what the locals do and get around in a motorised buggy.
If you need extra motivation to put Hamilton Island at the top of the list for your next winter family holiday escape, browse through Whitsunday Holiday's extensive accommodation portfolio at www.whitsundayholidays.com.au, check out their online tour options, and secure your booking for the next school holidays.