15g fresh truffle
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
8 Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into chunks
1L chicken stock (use vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
Salt and white pepper to taste
1. Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat, then add butter. Once bubbling, add the onions and celery and cook until soft (about 5 minutes). Do not brown.
2. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Sprinkle with salt.
3. Add the chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a simmer, then add the artichokes. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the artichokes begin to break down (about 1 hour).
4. Once artichokes are soft, remove pot from the heat. Separate the cooked items from the liquid.
5. Using a hand blender or upright blender, purée the cooked items, then slowly add enough liquid back to the mixture to gain the consistency you desire for your soup.
6. Season with salt and white pepper to taste, careful not to over-season.
7. Shave fresh truffle over soup just prior to serving.
Recipe by Shawn Sheather