Sour Cherry Tart

Sour Cherry Tart


Ingredients

Pastry:

300 g chilled unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
330 g plain flour
3/4 cup (170 ml) sour cream
1 pinch of salt
Hint: remove a third of your finished pastry to roll out for your garnish pieces (stars, love hearts, leaves – your choice).

Filling:

1-1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup cherry juice blend
4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp almond extract

Method

Filling:

In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in cherry juice until smooth.

Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg and extract; set aside.

Pastry:

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and butter until crumbly. Gradually add sour cream, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide pastry into 80-20, where 80% of it will be used for the tart and the remaining 20% for the garnish.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a pie/tart dish. Transfer pastry to pie dish; trim even over the edge of the dish. Add filling.

Roll out remaining pastry; create shaped garnishes and place on a separate oven tray or heat resistant mat.

Bake at 220°C for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 190°C; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Hint - bake your garnish and remove when golden brown (around the 12 minute mark).

Once cool, add desired amount of garnish.

Credits: AGFG

Photo Credits: Rikki Snyder


More Recipes

ANZAC Biscuits

There are no eggs in this recipe, reflecting the egg scarcity during the First World War.

White Nectarine Bircher Museli

This spectacular summer morning starter is best consumed within 2-3 days (but really, who needs that...

Halo Halo

Eat this chilled concoction as is or mix the whole thing together before scooping it up.