Moules a la Provencale
For a romantic meal, pair with a loaf of crusty ciabatta and a nice white wine or bubbles.
2 x 180 gram snapper filets, skin on
Salt and pepper
150g medium polenta
450-500ml cold water
20-30g grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
100g Wong Bok, julienned
50g julienne carrot
50g julienne snow peas
25g julienne salad onion
25g bean sprouts
6-8 coriander leaves, torn or chopped
6-8 mint leaves, torn or chopped
Half a long red chilli, finely sliced
Knob of fresh ginger, peeled and fine sliced
Japanese pickled ginger
Julienne eschalot greens, curled in water
Assemble your equipment; you want a flat tray like a biscuit sheet, a home deep fryer if possible, a saucepan, a sauté pan or two, and a wok, or a large sauté pan. Set your oven to grill. Grab a cutting board, favourite (hopefully sharp) knife, and a cake palate or spatula if you have one. Also a non-stick spray is handy. Get all your prep done first and this dish rolls along, once the fish goes under the grill it’ll take around five minutes to go to the plate. Total time from starting prep to table around 20-30 min, excluding the polenta, make it a hour or two ahead.
1. Place polenta and water in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring frequently for 10 - 15 minutes.
2. Add the grated Parmesan, season and stir through. Pour polenta into a greased baking tray and set aside in fridge to cool.
3. Using your paring knife, cut the polenta into four triangles, around 10cm at the short side.
4. Heat a grill and put two sauté pans on the stove on medium heat with some oil in them. Season the fish, sprinkle the skin with paprika and place in one of the pans to seal then place under the grill.
5. In the other pan, fry the polenta triangles until crispy. Add the veg in at once, season, and toss quickly to cook until tender crisp.
6. Finish with the sesame oil and remove from heat.
To serve: divide the Asian greens between two bowls, season the polenta triangles and place on the greens, lay the snapper on top and garnish with the ginger, lemon wedge and curled eschalot.