1 2/3 cups plain flour
125 g butter, cubed
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2/3 cup sour cream
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1 cup sliced ham or bacon
1½ cups grated Swiss cheese
1. Grease a 26cm spring form baking tin. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a bowl, knead flour, butter, salt, egg yolk and 2 tbsp water into a smooth dough
Shape into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Roll dough out on a lightly floured work surface to line the tin.
4. Prick pastry base several times with a fork, cover with baking paper and dried beans and bake for 12 minutes. Remove baking paper and beans and cook base for a further 45 minutes. Allow to slightly cool.
5. To make the filling, combine sour cream with eggs, egg yolk, nutmeg, pepper and a little salt.
6. Cut ham into strips and spread over the pastry base with the cheese. Pour in egg mixture.
7. Bake for 25–35 minutes. Cover top with foil if it browns too quickly. Allow quiche to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before serving.