One of four female factories established in Tasmania, Ross Female Factory was the incarceration house for female convicts from 1847 to 1854. A protected historic site, the buildings of Ross Female Factory were designed to teach women how to cook, sew, clean and care for their children. Although little more than the archaeological remains are still standing, the history behind Ross Female Factory is one that must be heard. The museum housed in the nearby cottage provides an in depth explanation of the building, its role and the people who dwelled within.
50 Church Street, Ross 7209 TAS - See Map