Shaken, not stirred - and always with an olive or two.
4 cups apple cider
1 cup orange juice
1 cup spiced rum
1. Cut off the top of the apple, then use a paring knife and spoon to scoop out the centre until you have a cup shape.
2. Brush lemon juice inside and on the rim of the apple to prevent browning.
1. Pour cider into a large pot with orange juice and set to low heat.
2. Thickly slice apple and orange. Insert cloves into fruit - this will make it easy to remove from the cider later.
3. Add fruit and cinnamon sticks to the pot and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Add rum, stirring and simmering until heated through.
5. Ladle out apples oranges, cinnamon sticks and any excess cloves from the mixture.
6. Pour into apple cups, garnish with star anise and cinnamon stick and serve warm.