Port Lincoln Sardines - Chef Recipe by Steve Watson
These are great as part of a grazing platter while sipping a ice-cold Ouzo and dreaming of the Me...
2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream, plus extra to serve
1/4 cup butter, softened and diced plus extra for sauteeing
5 large potatoes
170 gms grated cheddar cheese
1. Peel and boil potatoes until soft. While potatoes are boiling, finely chop 1 onion and saute in butter until fragrant.
2. Mash potatoes with onions and cheese. Add seasoning to taste.
3. Let mixture cool.
1. In a bowl, mix flour and salt. Beat egg and add to mixture.
2. Add sour cream and butter and work together until dough loses most of its stickiness.
3. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Once dough has chilled, roll on a flavoured board until thin. Cut circles of dough with a medium sized cookie cutter.
5.Place one tablespoon of filling in the centre of each dough circle and fold over into a semi-circle. Crimp edges together using fingers.
6. Boil pierogies in small amounts for 8-10 minutes until they float to the top. Rinse in cool water and let dry.
7. Saute chopped onions in butter in large fry pan. Add pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy. Serve with a side of sour cream.