Baked Macaroni and Cheese
We all know how easy it is to microwave mac and cheese, but why not give this baked version a whirl?...
1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
50g of butter
1 onion, finely chopped
500g arborio rice
200ml of white wine
25g of dried porcini mushrooms (soaked in water for a minute, then drained
200g of assorted mushrooms, finely sliced
100g of butter, diced
2/3 cup of grated parmesan
1. Place chicken stock in pot and simmer on stove top.
2. In a wide pan, heat butter and add onion. Saute for 1 minute.
3. Add rice and stir for about 2 minutes. Add wine and allow to evaporate. Then, add two or three ladles of chicken stock and stir.
4. Add porcini and assorted mushrooms. Stir in chicken stock a little at a time. After 15 minutes, add salt and taste - it should still be a little chalky.
5. Remove from heat, stir in butter and grated parmesan. Put lid on pan and rest for 3-4 minutes.
6. Serve with grated parmesan.