2 bunches white asparagus, peeled
1 1/2 oranges, peeled & segmented
1L vegetable oil
1/2 cup fine breadcumbs
1/2 cup sifted flour
Chervil or Italian parsley to garnish
50ml white wine vinegar
2 slices orange peel
50ml heavy cream
150g cubed butter (cold)
freshly ground pepper & salt
1. In a deep pot, heat the oil slowly.
2. Meanwhile, in simmering water, poach 4 of the eggs for 3-4 minutes 'til soft and put to one side to rest.
3. Blanch the asparagus in some lightly salted boiling water 'til al dente (tender crisp) and drain.
4. To crumb the eggs carefully coat in flour, then egg (1 egg lightly whisked) and finally in the breadcrumbs.
5. Gently lower into the oil with a spoon and fry 'til golden. A good way to test whether the oil is hot enough is to stick a wooden skewer into the oil and if bubbles form all around the object you are ready to go.
6. Once the egg is golden, remove and place on paper towel to drain.
1. Place vinegar in a saucepan with the orange peel. Reduce by half and then add cream. Reduce by half again and then whisk in butter.
2. Remove peel and squeeze the juice from the final half orange. Stir in the chives and season.
To serve, arrange the asparagus and orange segments on each plate along with an egg each and drizzle with the orange beurre blanc. Garnish with some chopped chervil or parsley and season to your taste.