4 x Coral Trout Fillets (160gr ea)
1 x Banana Leaf
1 x Large Ginger Knob – sliced
2 x Lemongrass Stalks – split
150g x Spanner Crab Meat (sand crab meat can be substituted)
100g x Bean Sprouts
1/4 x Green Papaya – peeled and sliced very thinly
2 x Ruby Grapefruits - segmented
1 x Red Chilli – split, seeds removed and julienned
2 x Shallots – cut diagonally
1/4 Continental Cucumber – seeded and cut diagonally
1/2 Bunch Coriander Leaves
1/2 Bunch Thai Basil Leaves
1/2 Bunch Mint Leaves
NAHM JIM DRESSING
1 x Garlic Clove
1 x Coriander Root – washed & trimmed
1/2 x Red Chilli – seeds removed
1 x Eschallot - sliced
2 x Cherry Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon x Light Palm Sugar
1 x Tablespoon x Fish Sauce
75ml x Lime Juice
Nahm Jim Dressing:
1. Pound the garlic, coriander root and chilli in a mortar and pestal until it is a rough paste.
2. Add the cherry tomatoes and eschallot and continue to grind until well bruised and broken down.
3. Add the palm sugar and continue to mix till dissolved, then the add the fish sauce and lime juice. (This will remain fresh and vibrant for two days).
1. In a bamboo steamer, trim the banana leaf to cover half the inside to allow free flow of steam.
2. On top of the banana leaf scatter the sliced ginger and split the lemongrass.
3. Season the coral trout with salt and place on the banana leaf and sit the steamer with its lid on atop a pot of boiling water.
4. Steam for 6 minutes or until cooked through, depending on the thickness of fillets.
1. In the meantime, mix all the salad ingredients together with enough nahm jim dresssing to coat.
2. Place salad in large dinner bowls with steamed coral on top.
Credits: Mark Jensen - Tamarind Restaurant Cairns.