Chewy Beets, Beetroot and Juniper Gel with Sourdough Crumb - Chef Recipe by Connor Bishop
This dish sits on the more savoury side of desserts, with each element carefully thought out to comp...
1 thin skinned orange
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 cups crushed digestive biscuit crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
380 gms cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau, or 2 tsp. vanilla
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Rinse and dry orange. With a sharp knife, slice into thin rounds discarding ends and seeds.
2. In a deep frying pan or pot over medium-high heat, stir sugar, water, and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved. Add orange slices and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Uncover and simmer gently, turning occasionally until they're slightly candied and translucent and liquid has the consistency of a thin syrup, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan. Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 300°. Pour biscuit crumbs into a 9-in. pan with removable rim; add butter and mix. Press mixture evenly over bottom and 1/2 in. up sides of pan.
2. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in flour, sour cream, and liqueur just until incorporated. Pour into crust-lined pan.
3. Bake for around 60 to 70 minutes until center barely wobbles when cake is gently shaken. Run a thin-bladed knife between cake and pan rim. Cool completely at room temperature, then cover and chill until cold, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
4. Remove pan rim. Gently lift candied orange slices from syrup, reserving syrup, and blot dry with a paper towel. Arrange slices, slightly overlapping, over top of cheesecake.
5. Measure orange juice. Bring reserved syrup to a boil over high heat. Stir occasionally until syrup is deep golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully stir in orange juice. Let cool to room temperature and generously brush over orange slices (you may have extra syrup).
Photo Credits: Matthew Tomkinson