Spaghetti alla Checca
A Guy Grossi Recipe
450 gms linguine
1 tbsp. fine sea salt
3 tbsp. olive oil
5 or 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp. red chilli flakes
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2/3 cup vermouth (or dry white wine)
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
900 gms fresh small 'pasta' clams
285 gm can of clams
1 cup chopped parsley
1 tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan, boil water for pasta. Add sea salt and pasta and cook until al dente.
2. Heat olive oil over maximum heat in a second, larger pot. Before the oil gets too hot, add garlic, red pepper flake and black pepper.
3. When garlic is fragrant, add the liquids; clam juice, lemon juice and vermouth/white wine. Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
4. Drain pasta in a colander and leave to sit.
5. Throw fresh clams into liquid and cover. Cook on maximum heat for 3 minutes until clams have opened their shells. Shake the pan a few times while clams are cooking.
6. Remove lid and add pasta, canned clams, lemon zest, butter and parsley (reserving some for garnish). Reduce heat to minimum and toss carefully with tongs until nearly all the sauce has been absorbed by pasta.
7. Serve immediately.