Built in 1872, it is easy to underestimate the significance of the once remote Tennant Creek Telegraph Station. Early travellers welcomed the refuge from the harsh and unforgiving surroundings. Imagine the excitement caused by an approaching camel train bringing news and letters for the lonely inhabitants. The discovery of gold in 1925 quickly led to the establishment of the present Tennant Creek township. By 1935 a post office was opened and the telegraph station closed, ending an era.